- An off the beaten path journey to the eastern hills of Nepal
- Journey to the foot of the third tallest mountain in the world. Mt Kanchenjunga (8,586m)
- Learn more about the local culture and way of life of the ethnic Kirant people
- Explore the riches of the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
What to see & do
About Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek - 26 days
At a Glance
All meals included during the trekking
Flight/Tourist bus/Private vehicle
"Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek: Journey to the Foot of the World's Third Tallest Mountain"
If you are an adventure enthusiast looking for an off-the-beaten-path trekking destination, then the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Nepal is a must-visit. Located in the Taplejung district of eastern Nepal, the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek offers a unique opportunity to explore the natural beauty, ethnic culture, and diverse wildlife of the Himalayas.
The main attraction of the trek is the world's third tallest mountain, Mount Kanchenjunga, which stands tall at an altitude of 8586m. The trek covers both the southern and northern base camps of the mountain, creating a circuit around the majestic Himalayas. The trekking trail takes you through a lot of magical ethnic villages, where you can experience the diverged unique culture and tradition of the Kirant people. The trek also covers the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area, which is home to a huge amount of diverged species, including endangered mammalian and bird species.
The Kanchenjunga Base Camp lies at an altitude of 5143m, covering a total area of 220 Km2. The trekking trail starts from the beautiful Taplejung district and goes through the most beautiful Arun valley. You will cross two beautiful passes, Sinion La and Selele La pass, before reaching the base camp. The base camp offers mesmerizing views of snow-capped mountain ranges with crystal clear Kanchenjunga.
The best time to do the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is during the spring season, from March to late May, when the weather is pleasant, and the trial route is quite easier to access. However, if you find this trekking a bit more difficult, you can check other thrilling adventure packages, including the Upper Mustang Trek, Annapurna Sanctuary Trek, Shey Phoksundo Lake Trek, and Everest Base Camp Trek.
We prioritize the quality and comfort of our customers above everything else. We accompany trekkers and thrill-seekers around the Himalayas to help them enjoy their journey to the fullest. To prepare for your journey to the roof of the world, check our complete blog post titled "How to Prepare for Journey to the Roof of the World: Trekking to Kanchenjunga Base Camp."
In conclusion, the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience that fulfills you with each element of nature. The trek covers a vast area of natural beauty, ethnic culture, and diverse wildlife, making it one of the least frequented destinations in Nepal. Book your trek today and embark on a journey to the foot of the world's third tallest mountain.
Major Attraction of Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
- Stunning Mountain Views: The trek offers unparalleled views of the Kanchenjunga massif, which includes four main peaks, including Kanchenjunga Main (8,586m) and Kanchenjunga West (8,505m). The towering snow-capped peaks, surrounded by a pristine wilderness, create a breathtaking sight that will leave trekkers in awe.
- Kanchenjunga Conservation Area: The trek takes you through the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area, a protected region spanning over 2,035 square kilometers. This area is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including rare and endangered species like the red panda, snow leopard, and Himalayan black bear. The lush forests, alpine meadows, and high-altitude landscapes offer a haven for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Cultural Exploration: The Kanchenjunga region is inhabited by various ethnic communities, including the Limbu, Rai, and Sherpa people. The trek provides an opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and traditions, as you pass through traditional villages and interact with the warm and hospitable locals. You can witness traditional dances, visit ancient monasteries, and learn about the unique customs and rituals of the local communities.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Experience: The Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is known for its remote and less-crowded trails. Unlike some of the more popular trekking routes in Nepal, this trek offers a sense of solitude and tranquility, allowing you to connect with nature in its purest form. The untouched landscapes, pristine valleys, and serene mountain vistas create an off-the-beaten-path experience that is cherished by adventure enthusiasts.
- High Mountain Passes: The trek involves crossing several high mountain passes, including the challenging Sele La Pass (4,290m) and Sinion La Pass (4,600m). These passes offer breathtaking views of the surrounding peaks and valleys, as well as a sense of accomplishment for trekkers.
Optional Package to trek
The Upper Dolpo Trek is a remote and culturally rich journey that takes you to the hidden valleys of Dolpo. Trekking through the Shey-Phoksundo National Park, you'll encounter stunning turquoise lakes, high mountain passes, and traditional villages, offering an unforgettable experience.
The Manaslu Circuit Trek is perfect for those seeking a less crowded and adventurous trekking experience. This trek offers a blend of natural beauty, cultural immersion, and remote wilderness. You'll traverse through diverse landscapes, cross high mountain passes, and encounter ethnic villages, providing a glimpse into the local way of life.
Trip day to day detail itinerary
Arrival at Kathmandu (1,320m/4,330ft)
Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing and Preparation for the trip
Fly from Kathmandu to Biratnagar (80m/262ft)
Fly Biratnagar to Suketar and Trek to Lali Kharka (2220m/7300ft)
Trek from Lali Kharka to Sincheburi Bhanjhyang (2240m/7400ft)
Trek from Sincheburi Bhanjyang to Phumphe (1858m/5900ft)
Trek from Phumphe to Yamphudin (1690m/5600ft)
Trek from Yamphudin to Amji Khola (2340m/7800ft)
Trek from Amji Khola to Tortong (2990m/9900ft)
Trek from Tortong to Tseram (3870m/13900ft)
Trek from Tseram to Ramche (4620m/15400ft)
Trek from Ramche to South BC Viewpoint to Chukkung Pokhari (4450m/14600ft)
Trek from Chukkung Pokhari to Sinelapche La (4724m/15500ft) to Mirgin La (4663m/15300ft) to Sinion La (4660m/15290ft) to Sele La (41153/13500ft) to Tamo La (3900m/12796ft) to Ghunsa (3595m/11794ft)
Rest Day Ghunsa (3595m/11794ft)
Trek from Ghunsa to Kangbachen (4150m/13650ft)