- An unforgettable adventure to one of the most remote parts of the nation
- Journey to the largest lake of Nepal- Rara lake
- Trek through vibrant hamlets depicting a unique way of life
- Enjoy the mesmerizing natural beauty of the stunning Rara National Park
- Enjoy the panoramic beauty of nature.
Rara Lake Trek
What to see & do
About Rara Lake Trek - 15 days
At a Glance
All meals included during the trekking
Flight/Tourist bus/Private vehicle
Embark on an awe-inspiring journey through the untamed wilderness of western Nepal, where the Rara Lake Trek awaits. Brace yourself for an adventure that will leave you spellbound. This off-the-beaten-path expedition introduces you to the majestic Rara Lake, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of the stunning Rara National Park.
Located in the remote region of Mugu and Jumla, this trek takes you far from the beaten tourist trails and immerses you in a world of raw natural beauty. Brace yourself for a wild ride as you soar high above the clouds during a thrilling flight to Jumla, marking the beginning of your unforgettable expedition.
Trekking through rugged landscapes, verdant forests, and enchanting valleys, you'll be greeted by a symphony of sights and sounds that will quicken your pulse. As you ascend, prepare to have your breath stolen away by the sight of majestic snow-capped peaks, cascading waterfalls that defy gravity, and meadows bursting with vibrant hues. And then, there it is—Rara Lake.
A celestial oasis, its azure waters mirror the pristine forests and towering mountains that guard it jealously. Immerse yourself in the tranquility, be enchanted by the untouched beauty, and allow Rara Lake to leave an indelible mark on your soul. This trek is not for the faint-hearted; it's for those who seek the extraordinary, those who crave the untamed, and those who are willing to embark on a journey that will ignite their spirit of adventure.
Major Attraction of Rara Lake Trek
Rara National Park
Rara National Park, established in 1970, is a protected area spanning 106 km2 and renowned for its rich biodiversity. Within its boundaries, a remarkable variety of flora and fauna are conserved. The park is home to over a thousand species of flora, exhibiting a fascinating range from the hilly regions to the Himalayas. Among the diverse flora, you can find captivating species such as Rhododendron, fir, brown oak, birch, west Himalayan spruce, black juniper, Himalayan cypress, and pine.
The park is equally impressive in terms of its wildlife. It provides a habitat for numerous endangered species, including the elusive snow leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, red panda, Indian leopard, jackal, Himalayan thar, yellow-throated marten, otter, dhole, grey langur, rhesus macaque, black-nested grebes, red-crested kalij pheasant, Himalayan monal, and chukar partridge. As you journey through Rara National Park, you'll have the opportunity to witness these remarkable creatures in their natural environment, adding to the allure and fascination of the trek.
Embarking on the Rara Lake trek allows you to immerse yourself in a tapestry of vibrant ethnic cultures. Along the trekking trails, you'll encounter a multitude of charming villages, each offering a unique cultural experience. From Chautha and Dhoti to Ghorsingha, Sinja, and Jaljala, every village welcomes you with its distinct traditions and way of life.
One of the major attractions of the Rara Lake trek is the opportunity to witness the diverse array of castes, creeds, languages, lifestyles, and cultural practices that exist within these communities. The richness of Nepalese culture comes alive as you interact with the locals and gain insights into their customs and traditions.
Moreover, the trek presents a culinary adventure as well. Nepalese cuisine, known for its delicious flavors and distinctive dishes, tantalizes your taste buds along the way. Indulge in mouthwatering local delicacies, savoring the unique blend of spices and ingredients that contribute to the rich tapestry of Nepalese gastronomy.
Scenic natural views
The trail then leads you to the trailhead at Jumla, an area often perceived as underdeveloped and remote. However, Jumla's true beauty lies in its rich culture and warm hospitality. Despite its humble reputation, Jumla offers a captivating charm that entices travelers to explore its hidden treasures. Immerse yourself in the local culture, interact with the friendly locals, and embrace the authentic traditions that make Jumla a unique destination.
Another highlight of the Rara Lake trek is the majestic Sinja Valley. This enchanting valley holds significant historical, ancient, and religious importance. Founded by Nagraj, Sinja Valley exudes a timeless beauty that is enhanced by the flowing waters of the magical Sinja River. Delve into the valley's heritage, discover ancient ruins, and immerse yourself in the serene ambiance that emanates from this remarkable site.
The Mohare Danda Trek is a hidden gem that offers panoramic views of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges. This community-based trek takes you through off-the-beaten-path trails, allowing you to experience the authentic hospitality of local communities.
The Nar Phu Valley Trek takes you to the remote and culturally rich valleys of Nar and Phu, situated in the Annapurna region. This trek offers a glimpse into the traditional Tibetan culture, as you explore ancient monasteries, visit remote villages, and interact with the local people.
The Makalu Base Camp Trek is a challenging and adventurous journey that takes you to the base camp of Mount Makalu, the fifth highest peak in the world. This trek offers a pristine wilderness experience, with rugged terrains, dense forests, and high mountain passes.
Trip day to day detail itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,320m/4,330ft)
Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (150m/492ft)
Fly from Nepalgunj to Jumla (2370m/7776ft)
Trek from Jumla to Danphe Langa (3130m/10269ft)
Trek from Danphe Langa to Chautha (2770m/9088ft)
Trek from Chautha to Dhotu (2380m/7808ft)
Trek from Dhotu to Rara Lake (3040 m/9974ft)
Exploring Rara Lake (3040m/9947ft)
Trek from Rara Lake to Ghorosingha (3190m/10466ft)
Trek from Ghorosingha to Sinja (2440m/8005ft)
Trek from Sinja to Jaljala (3270m/10728ft)
Trek from Jaljala to Jumla |2370m/7776ft
Fly from Jumla to Nepalgunj |150m/492ft| and afternoon fly back to Kathmandu
Take leisure day in Kathmandu and Farewell Dinner
Final Departure from Kathmandu
Good to know before trip booking
- Airport picks up and drops off, upon arrival and departure.
- Pre trek meeting.
- City entrance fees in Kathmandu.
- 3-star Hotel in Kathmandu for 3 nights.
- Full day city tour in Kathmandu by a private vehicle.
- Flight tickets from Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Jumla.
- Flight tickets from Jumla - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu.
- All necessary paperwork and permits.
- Trekking equipment: down-filled sleeping bag, walking poles and a duffel bag.
- An experienced English-speaking Govt. registered trekking guide and local porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Guide and porter salaries, insurance, equipment, transport, food, and lodging.
- Full meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on your choice.
- Supplementary snacks: energy bar and cookies.
- Fresh seasonal fruits after dinner.
- Unlimited Chlorine treated Safe Drinking water.
- Oxi-meter: To check pulse, heart rate, and oxygen saturation.
- All mountain accommodation (Soft, comfort, private room with shared toilet).
- A comprehensive First Aid kit.
- All government and local taxes.
- Souvenir: Himalaya Land treks t-shirt and Trekking Route map.
- Farewell dinner at one of the finest Nepalese Restaurant with traditional ethnic music and dance.
- Nepal visa (USD 30 for 15 days and USD 50 for 30 days).
- Your international flight to and from Nepal.
- Meals in the city except for breakfast and other mentioned special dinner.
- The cost incurred during the tour around the city
- Cost for additional trips.
- Hot showers, Wi-Fi & battery charging on a trek.
- Travel insurance (for helicopter evacuation if needed whilst on trekking).
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone, internet/e-mail, etc.
- Bar and beverage bills.
- Tip for guide, porter, and drivers.